Юрист у сфері інформаційних технологій – Міжнародна організація з міграції
Title of Position:
Duration of appointment:
Estimated Start Date:
Expert on Legal Regulation of IT-Related Issues (IT-Legal Expert)
As soon as possible
Background of the Consultancy:
The ultimate objective of the IMMIS project is to contribute to enhancing migration management in Ukraine through the development of institutional and technical capacities of the migration management bodies, particularly the State Migration Service of Ukraine (SMS), the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine (SBGS), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine (MFA), the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine (MIA), the National Police of Ukraine (NP) and the deployment of an automated integrated migration management information system.
This goal will be achieved through (i) assessment and, when relevant, amendment of the national policy, legal and regulatory framework for migration management; (ii) analysis and improvement of migration management business processes; (iii) development of the human resources system and training of the personnel of the SMS; (iv) provision of ICT solutions and equipment to the SMS, the SBGS, the MFA, the MIA and the NP, including a comprehensive and modern Integrated Migration Management Information System (IMMIS).
These Terms of Reference (ToR) foresee functions to be performed and outputs to be delivered by Consultant at the intersection of the two components (i) “assessment and, when relevant, amendment of the national policy, legal and regulatory framework for migration management” and (iv) “provision of ICT solutions and equipment to the SMS, the SBGS, the MFA, the MIA and the NP, including a comprehensive and modern IMMIS”.
Nature of the Consultancy:
Following the finalization of the business process analysis (BPA), reengineering of business processes in the sphere of migration management (based on the recommendations of the BPA) will commence. The reengineering and optimization of business processes will include their automation and more extensive use of ICT equipment and systems, biometrics, improved electronic information exchange between the state authorities involved in migration management. In parallel, the project’s IT team will develop IT solutions based on their own analysis of the project beneficiaries’ needs.
Implementation of the IT-related solutions will inevitably require preliminary legal analysis on whether they conform to the current legislation and if not, what amendments in the legal and regulatory framework shall be introduced to ensure full legality of the proposed IT-related solutions. Drafts of the required amendments will need to be developed by the Consultant who will be a member of the legislative drafting team.
It is also envisaged by the IMMIS project that after introduction of the new legal and regulatory framework IOM will organize training activities for the officials who apply these legal acts in their work to ensure correct understanding and application. The Consultant will support the IMMIS Legal Expert in planning of these training activities as required.
Tasks to be performed under the assignment:
- Study the IT solutions earlier proposed by the project’s IT team, namely those related to automation of business processes in migration management, use of ICT equipment and systems, biometrics, improved electronic information exchange between the state authorities involved in migration management.
- Study the recommendations of the BPA on reengineering of business processes in the sphere of migration management, particularly those related to automation of business processes in migration management, use of ICT equipment and systems, biometrics, improved electronic information exchange between the state authorities involved in migration management.
- Analyse the solutions and recommendations mentioned above in light of their conformity with the current legislation. Should non-conformity or other legal gaps be identified, formulate recommendations regarding necessary amendments to the legal and regulatory framework.
- Continue working jointly with the project’s IT team to ensure ongoing legal analysis of the IT-related solutions proposed by them: participate in their team meetings as well as the meetings with the beneficiaries, respond to their oral and written requests, prepare written contribution to their products (ToR, reports, studies etc) on legal aspects of the proposed IT-related solutions.
- Develop relevant draft legal norms aimed at establishing adequate legal basis for the IT-related solutions, coordinate legislative drafting activities with the Legislative Drafting Coordination Expert.
- Support the IMMIS Legal Expert in the process of ensuring endorsement by the beneficiary state bodies of the draft laws and SOPs developed by the Consultant;
- Submit proposals for the Legislative Drafting Work Plan to the Legislative Drafting Coordination Expert.
- Conduct legal analysis of the IT-related issues on request of other members of the project’s legal team.
- Based on the adopted laws and SOPs as well as on legal drafts endorsed by the beneficiary state bodies support the IMMIS Legal experts in planning capacity building activities for the officials of the beneficiary state bodies aimed at the implementation of the relevant legal and regulatory provisions on the IT-related solutions;
- Participate in staff, expert and coordination meetings as necessary, establish and maintain working contacts with the project beneficiaries and other stakeholders as required;
- Undertake duty travel within Ukraine as necessary;
- Perform other relevant duties pertinent to the assignment;
- Develop and update as necessary, in coordination with the IMMIS project management team, a monthly work plan reflecting the fulfilment of the specific functions, envisaging deliverance of the outputs and serving as a basis for the Consultant’s monthly reports.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the assignment:
- Written analysis of the IT-related solutions and recommendations in light of their conformity with the current legislation is prepared.
- Recommendations regarding necessary amendments to the legal and regulatory framework to ensure conformity of the IT-related solutions are formulated.
- Responses to the project’s IT team’s requests are prepared and swiftly shared.
- Written contributions to the project’s IT team’s products (ToR, reports, studies etc) are prepared.
- Draft legal norms aimed at establishing adequate legal basis for the IT-related solutions are prepared.
- Proposals for the Legislative Drafting Work Plan are submitted.
- Monthly work plans and monthly reports are available.
- Recommendations for capacity building activities for the officials of the beneficiary state bodies aimed at proper understanding and unified application of the adopted laws and SOPs as well as legal drafts endorsed by the beneficiary state bodies related to implementation of the IT-related solutions are available.
Education and experience:
- Master’s degree in law;
- at least five years of experience of work related to legal regulation of information technologies, data exchange, division of access rights, protection of personal data in the information and communication systems;
- experience in legislative drafting is desirable;
- professional experience in the international organisations, government bodies of Ukraine including participation in the interagency working groups is desirable.
- Fluency in Ukrainian, intermediate knowledge of English is an asset
- proven excellent analytical and legal drafting skills;
- ability to process large volumes of information;
- ability to take initiative;
- effective communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely express ideas both verbally and in writing;
- ability to take responsibility and manage constructive criticism;
- timeliness in performing functions, provision of deliverables and in reporting;
- ability to work well under pressure.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV (contains names and contact information of three referees) and cover letter to:
IOM Kyiv: [email protected]
8 Mykhailivska str., Kyiv 01001
Please, indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 16 December 2018, however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.