Вакансія: Local Government Advisor
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world. DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is seeking qualified candidates for the Kyiv-based Local Government Advisor position on its newly awarded USAID Governance and Local Accountability (HOVERLA) Activity. Interested candidates should submit their application through the following portal:
The deadline for applications is May 21, 2021.
- Project Background:
The purpose of the HOVERLA activity is to facilitate the creation of Ukrainian local governance systems and processes that are more self-reliant, accountable to citizens, inclusive and able to provide services. The Activity has three objectives:
Objective 1: Ukraine’s system of local self-governance is increasingly institutionalized and effective
Objective 2: More self-reliant subnational governance
Objective 3: Citizens play an increasingly influential role in local governance processes
- Roles Purpose:
The main objective of the Local Government Advisor is to guide all technical work and collaboration with at least 80 targeted Hromadas throughout Ukraine. Activities shall be related to supporting local governance improved effectiveness, service delivery, transparent and accountable local governance, intermunicipal cooperation and advocacy to national government on relevant local government issues such as own source revenue and intergovernmental transfer.
S/he will be responsible for serving as a lead advisor on local government and will work directly with HOVERLA project staff in Kyiv and in the regions and with project counterparts such as mayors, departments ministries etc. in all program activities and promoting collaboration in the effective design and implementation of HOVERLA activities related to subnational governments.
The Local Government Specialist will report and work under Objective 1 Lead and will coordinate with him/her all direct engagement with other HOVERLA staff and counterparts as required.
The position requires intimate knowledge of the Ukrainian decentralization effort, business regulatory environment and investment climate (foreign and domestic).
- Objectives and Duties:
The Local Government Advisor will:
- Coordinate closely with all technical specialists to ensure municipal policies, guidelines and programs are taken into consideration in HOVERLA program implementation.
- Interface regularly with Hromada government professionals and leadership as feasible, and maintain positive, productive relationships with them.
- Maintain regular communication with Hromada government authorities and professionals to provide solutions on technical problems, which may arise from activities implemented by the program, especially at the Regional and Hromada levels.
- Design a coordination/communication mechanism and a training program for subnational government professionals and leadership as needed.
- Ensure strong coordination and collaboration of the Regional Offices with Hromada government professionals and authorities as feasible and needed.
- Work with the Objective 1 Lead and the regional director to ensure coordination among this and other sectors and guaranty implementation of technical aspects of the program.
- Overview the development of technical documentation required.
- Provide inputs on central government advances and challenges to the Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports.
- Build the capacity of relevant national and subnational government staff
- Assist in developing grant concepts
- Serve as the point of contact for subnational governments
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders, including institutional and private sector partners, to increase visibility and maximize coordination.
- Provide on-demand information for USAID
- Other relevant duties as needed.
- Other activities as requested by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party
- Five to eight years of professional work experience as team leader or specialist on local government programs in complex and dynamic work environments in Ukraine.
- Advanced degree in public administration or political sciences or other relevant field. Master’s degree will be a plus.
- Excellent experience interacting with municipal government mid-level leadership and professionals and in politically sensitive environments.
- Prior experience working on USAID-funded projects and knowledge of USAID policies, strategies, and regulations.
- Self-starter and independent, capable of following guidance and transform it into actions.