Senior Project Assistant (SME Boost) – Представництво МОМ в Україні
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (9 months) with the possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Ukraine and direct supervision of the National Officer (Migration and Development), the successful candidate will contribute to implementation of IOM Ukraine economic recovery activities targeting Micro-, Small-, and Medium-Enterprises (MSMEs).
IOM Ukraine implements 30-months SME Boost project funded by KfW. The project aims to contribute to economic recovery and growth in Ukraine during and in eventual aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic through targeted support to MSMEs and migrants to alleviate poverty, mitigate unemployment and retain jobs. It will do so by creating a funding mechanism and online platform to provide consultations and support to entrepreneurs worst affected by COVID-19. The project will work with a diverse group of beneficiaries and offer Stimulus Packages tailored to the needs of affected businesses to adapt and recover from COVID-19 impact.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development, regular review and update of the SME Boost strategy and workplan, support effective implementation of the planned project activities by providing technical assistance on economic recovery and socio-economic development as well as sustainability of the project activities.
- Contribute to development of the terms of reference for all project-related economic assessments and data collection, supervise and guide the assessment team, review and edit the reports and other written outputs resulting from the assessments.
- Take a lead on all stages of conducting employment and labour market assessment under the SME Boost project, ensure that the project activities are informed by the assessment findings.
- Undertake analytical work and prepare analytical papers for the project needs conducting literature review, consultations with the stakeholders and beneficiaries as necessary.
- Contribute to design of project interventions, feed in development of criteria for identification of the project beneficiaries, participate in the selection process by reviewing and assessing the business plans of project’s (potential) beneficiaries.
- Liaise with the relevant government, non-governmental and business counterparts, provide technical assistance on policy development as requested.
- Take part and present as requested during the project-related events (workshops, presentations, discussions, trainings, etc.).
- Participate in the meetings with the development partners, partner MSMEs and NGOs, relevant national and local government agencies, prepare economic briefings for such meetings.
- Track relevant national and local developments pertaining to SME Boost project implementation, keeping the project’s team abreast and informed.
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation of the project, propose set of economic indicators to monitor project performance and advise on corrective measures as needed Undertake the field visits as necessary.
- Build capacity of the project team on the pertinent areas of economic development conducting training sessions as required.
- Identify project hindrances and propose corrective actions and innovative solutions.
- Contribute to development of Migration and Development portfolio of IOM Ukraine, by participation in relevant meetings and events, supporting project conceptualization and developing, liaising with state and non-governmental counterparts as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• High school degree or equivalent with at least six years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent or higher in Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Management, Development Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Familiarity with the Ukrainian business environment and context, understanding of the labour migration trends in Ukraine are highly desirable.
- Knowledge and practical experience in socio-economic development, community development, business development areas are an advantage;
- Experience working with MSMEs, national and local state authorities, development partners and civil society.
- Strong analytical and technical writing skills;
- Ability to conceptualize context-relevant interventions, communicate clearly and transfer skills and knowledge to the team.
Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and commited manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Resource Mobilization: Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this special vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (http://iom.org.ua/en/personal_history or iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/personal_history_form_0.xls) to [email protected] by 6 January 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.