National Officer (Government Liaison) у Представництво МОМ в Україні
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Ukraine and direct supervision of the Policy, Liaison, and Programme Development (PLPD) Coordinator and, in collaboration with relevant units within the Mission, Regional Office in Vienna, Austria, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for liaison functions between IOM and the Government of Ukraine.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Keep track of evolving issues concerning migration in Ukraine. Ensure that the Country Office is informed of local and international developments which may have a political or operational impact on the relations with the Government; Keeps Senior Management Team (SMT) abreast of any development in relation to these.
- In close coordination with the PLPD Coordinator, identifies, establishes, and maintains working relations with officials of the Government of Ukraine (GoU) at the central and local level, as well as with the Parliament of Ukraine (supports specific working groups and committees of interest to IOM).
- Support advocacy actions of IOM Ukraine with GoU officials and Parliament on key topics of migration management in Ukraine, regional and global level (including the Global Compact on Migration) and IOM policies and programmatic interventions.
- Identifies obstacles/ challenges in cooperation with any GoU entity/institution and proactively proposes actions to address the concerns to the PLPD Coordinator and to SMT; follows up on jointly agreed actions.
- Through frequent exchanges with GoU officials, identifies the needs and opportunities for advancing migration management policy, legal and institutional frameworks in Ukraine; present these opportunities during SMT meetings and follow up on agreed actions as advised by PLPD Coordinator, and Deputy Chief of Mission.
- Assists in development and implementation of specific IOM initiatives that respond to GoU request for support to advance policy, legal and institutional framework on migration, by facilitating exchanges between IOM and all involved GoU stakeholders as, and when advised by PLPD Coordinator and Deputy Chief of Mission.
- Regularly updates PLPD Unit and SMT on the outcomes of discussions with government authorities and other stakeholders on various issues.
- Supports the efforts of GoU to report on the implementation of international legal framework on migration (conventions) as well as regional and/or global cooperation frameworks on migration (such as GCM) through, drafting of specific inputs, reviewing of draft reports.
- Supports the efforts of the PLPD Unit in designing and implementing capacity enhancement initiatives for GoU and other stakeholders on effective migration management (such as training courses, exchange visits, etc).
- Keep abreast Senior Management Team of challenges posed by the political context, developments with the Government and issues related to humanitarian and development processes in Ukraine through verbal and written communication.
- Drafts correspondence and reports as required by PLPD Coordinator and assist in the drafting briefing notes, background materials, talking points, fact sheets, as required.
- Supervises and coordinates work of assigned staff to ensure highest level performance. Contribute to building capacity of staff working under the PLPD Unit.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Social Sciences, Law and International Relations from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of relevant professional experience
- Master’s Degree in above-mentioned field with at least two years of professional work experience
- Very good understanding of migration governance issues in Ukraine, migration policy and legislation and its application;
- Extensive experience in liaison work with government entities, as well as other actors (civil society, private sector, academia, etc);
- Sound knowledge of government institutions at the central and local level;
- An overall understanding of the work of the Parliament and its commissions;
- Good understanding of the political climate in Ukraine.
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent computer/information systems skills.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment.
Fluency in English, Ukrainian (oral and written) is required; Russian is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and commited manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearance.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (http://iom.org.ua/en/personal_history or iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/personal_history_form_0.xls) and a cover letter illustrating their interest and skills/working experience related to the required position to [email protected].
Closing date for applications is 1 February 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 18.01.2021 to 01.02.2021