National Consultant – Participatory Gender Audit (PGA) – Представництво МОМ в Україні
Title of Position:
Duration of appointment:
Estimated Start Date:
National Consultant – Participatory Gender Audit (PGA)
IOM Mission in Ukraine
As soon as possible
- Nature of the Consultancy
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will support the IOM Ukraine mission to undertake a selective Participatory Gender Audit (PGA) to assess gender mainstreaming in implementation of IOM projects as well as to provide recommendations for the future development and implementation of future projects to integrate gender in IOM in Ukraine. The proposed PGA will assess two projects among the existing projects as pilot which will be selected by IOM Ukraine and will contribute to ascertain adherence with IOM’s internal gender marker requirements. The assessment will also serve to assess the alignment of its projects to the national priorities of the Government of Ukraine to achieve gender equality and women’s empowerment. The results of the PGA will be used to strengthen strategic engagement of IOM Ukraine as a member of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) to support the Government of Ukraine in the implementation of National Gender Equality Strategy including its Action Plan to ensure fulfillment of the Ukraine’s international obligations.
- Background of the Consultancy
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), also the UN Migration Agency, was established in 1951. IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration working closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners, to promote humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. Since 1996, IOM Mission in Ukraine has assisted over 600,000 migrants, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking, and other vulnerable groups, directly or through its project partners.
IOM, through its 2015 Gender Equality Policy, is committed to promoting gender equality and ensuring that the particular needs of all migrants are identified, taken into consideration and addressed by IOM projects and services. This translates into the Organization’s commitment to address the different impacts that gender roles, relations and other inequalities have on migrants and others affected by migration, in all of IOM’s activities. IOM’s Strategic Results Framework on Gender Mainstreaming focuses on the Gender Marker as an indicator which IOM is applying to ensure how IOM projects are mainstreaming gender into the development or project proposal stage. The Gender Marker criteria include: gender analysis provided in the needs assessments, gender-sensitive outputs, and gender considerations included in project activities. The Gender Marker can also be incorporated and streamlined into other aspects of the project cycle, i.e. implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
According to the ILO guideline, a participatory gender audit is a tool and a process based on a participatory methodology to promote organizational learning on how to practically and effectively mainstream gender. A gender audit is a ‘social audit’ which distinguishes it from traditional ‘financial audits’. It establishes a baseline; identifies critical gaps and challenges; and recommends ways of addressing them, suggesting possible improvements and innovations. It also documents good practices towards the achievement of gender equality.
IOM proposes to undertake a selective PGA to examine IOM projects from a gender perspective and identify strengthen and weaknesses in promoting gender equality issues in programming. The proposed PGA will assess two projects among the existing IOM programmes in Ukraine as pilot which will be selected by IOM Ukraine. The PGA will look in-depth and assess gender mainstreaming of the two projects in the whole project cycle and to provide recommendations and lessons leaned in promoting gender mainstreaming for the future work of IOM in Ukraine. The PGA will also examine the two projects by ascertaining the extent to which gender is addressed as per IOM’s Strategic Results Framework and the impact of the IOM Gender Marker. The results of the PGA will be used to strengthen strategic engagement of IOM Ukraine to support the Government of Ukraine in the implementation of National Gender Equality Strategy including its Action Plan to ensure fulfillment of the Ukraine’s international obligations.
- Tasks to be performed
With general guidance from IOM and in close coordination with the Gender Focal Points and assigned team, the National Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Elaborate and submit inception report including the work plan and specific methodology on PGA and timeframe of the assignment.
- Conduct desk review of documents.
- Coordinate and conduct meetings with staff, individual interviews and online assessment.
- Draft PGA report including process, findings of the study and recommendations to IOM Ukraine.
- Organize presentation of the findings of the PGA with the recommendations.
- Finalize and submit the final report with the relevant recommendations.
- Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment and realistic delivery dates
The consultancy will take place in the period January 2022 – March 2022 with 40 working days subject to the confirmation of funding. The following will form the deliverables under this consultancy and respective timeline.
Delivery date (working days)
Inception report (work plan, methodology on PGA and timeframe)
Week 1 (3 days)
Desk review report
Month 1 (5 days)
Meetings/interviews of the staff/online audit process
Month 1 (10 days)
Draft of the preliminary report
Month 2 (10 days)
Presentation of findings
Month 2 (1 day)
Debriefing session with Senior Management Team
Month 3 (1 day)
Final PGA report
Month 3 (10 days)
- Details as to how the work must be delivered
All the deliverables under Section 4 are subject of approval by IOM. The National Consultant will also deliver to IOM the electronic files of all gathered documents that were used as a source for the consultancy.
Any delay in reaching the deliverables which is not under the control of the National Consultant will be coordinated with IOM that will undertake corrective actions.
- Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in gender studies, social sciences, public administration, law and related fields from an accredited academic institution. Relevant PhD degree would be an advantage.
- ITC-ILO certificate for Gender Audit Facilitators would be a strong advantage.
- At least five years of professional experience working on gender equality (promoting gender equality, gender mainstreaming, gender mapping and analyses and conducting gender audit)/non-discrimination;
- Experience in implementation of ILO participatory Gender Audit methodology (ILO PGA certification is an asset), or alternatively of other social audits and qualitative research methods in the context of organizational assessments (conducting focus groups, semi-structured interviews, data collection workshops);
- Experience in conducting gender audits and analyzing their results;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Previous research experience in gender issues with UN agencies and international organizations highly valued;
- Familiarity with UN gender policies gender mainstreaming practices;
- Knowledge of gender mainstreaming in humanitarian and development programming and planning is an advantage.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment.
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Is supported and respected by veterans, has extensive partnerships network within veterans’ community.
Excellent English written and verbal skills
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and cover letter) to [email protected] by 06 December 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Private entrepreneurs (PE) cannot be considered as applicable for providing services under this consultancy.