Legal Assistant – Міжнародна організація з міграції (МОМ), Представництво в Україні
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Legal Assistant
Duty Station: Kyiv, Ukraine
Classification: General Service Staff, UG (1900 USD per month)
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 07 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the National Legal Officer (NLO); and, in collaboration with relevant units at the Mission, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for timely, accurate legal services, and ensure that the legal functions of the Mission are efficiently carried out.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide legal support to the Country Office’s activities and provide advice on matters of legal nature while ensuring that the Country Office’s relationships with the government, organizations, private institutions and individuals have a sound legal basis.
- Assist the NLO in setting up and maintaining the legal functions of the Mission and work on a variety of in-house legal issues.
- Prepare, review and negotiate agreements and contracts (funding, procurement, construction, implementing partners, etc.); assist units and staff in such activities.
- Liaise as necessary with the IOM Legal Department and support the Country Office in contacts with external partners in the legal field.
- Conduct legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues in international law and other area(s) of specialization using multiple research sources; selects relevant material, analyse information and present findings for internal review.
- Prepare legal opinions, reports, memoranda and other correspondence as required.
- Study legal issues relating arising out of the interpretation or application of relevant rules, policies, laws, international conventions and agreements.
- Monitor local legislation requirements and changes therein that may impact the administration of the Country Office. Facilitate awareness of potential liability exposure and proactive minimization of risk within the organization.
- Draft and/or review a variety of legal documents, including legal motions/submissions, manuals, policies, guidelines, procedures, agreements and contracts.
- Train staff on IOM’s legal issues in accordance with the organizational policies, regulations and rules.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or related fields from an accredited institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- Master’s degree in Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of professional experience.
- Practical legal experience, preferably in an international environment, is an advantage.
- Experience working in the United Nations or other comparable international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in negotiating agreements and contracts.
- Drafting ability and analytical skills;
- Familiarity with IOM legal framework an advantage.
Fluency in English and Ukrainian (oral and written), working knowledge of Russian is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form (iom.org.ua/sites/default/files/personal_history_form_0.xls) to [email protected] by 07 June 2022 the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 24.05.2022 to 07.06.2022