Chemonics International Inc. is looking for a qualified professional position of Finance Assistаnt.
ESTIMATED PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE/LEVEL OF EFFORT: Long-term
BACKGROUND: The USAID Democratic Governance East Activity (DG East) aims to strengthen the connection and trust between citizens and their government in eastern and southern Ukraine by promoting an inclusive civic identity, common civic value and a unified Ukraine by addressing the divisive impacts of Russia’s aggression, and the consequences of the ongoing war through increased citizen participation, improved service delivery and more responsive governance. DG East works to (1) develop greater acceptance of a shared civic culture based on common values and understandings, and to (2) increase participation to improve Ukraine’s governance and reform processes and help to resolve community problems. DG East provides opportunities for citizens to engage with their government, provide government with resources to support their citizens, and create opportunities for citizens of Ukraine to create hope in their future and positive changes in their daily lives. DG East activities are implemented across four regional portfolios and two physical office locations in Kyiv and Staryi Sambir.
JOB SUMMARY: The Finance Assistant will be responsible for assisting in planning and implementing all aspects of the project accounting system and for maintaining an accounting database. The Finance Assistant is responsible for collecting and recording all information that will facilitate information exchange and dissemination of financial documentation and records to the Chemonics home office.
REPORTING: The position reports to Finance Manager.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review all payment requests generated by the project, ensuring that all back-up documentation and approvals are available for transactions.
- File accounting documents with ensuring required financial documentation is filed (securely) scanned and saved in project digital files.
- Proactively identify errors and/or missing documentation to ensure compliance of financial documentation.
- Prepare electronic bank payments through the Program’s Electronic banking system.
- Prepare letters, correspondence, requisitions and other forms of documents of consequence to be signed by management.
- Explain generally accepted accounting principles, USAID and Chemonics regulations to staff and consultants, as necessary.
- Supervises and contributes to maintaining the Project’s Payment Request tracker.
- Prepare package of documentation required for VAT exemptions. Prepare monthly informational reports and maintain received VAT bills and ensure their timely receiving.
- Perform any other financial tasks assigned by the Finance Manager or her/his designate or independently which are consistent with his/her qualifications, this Scope of Work and the general requirements of the DG-East project.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: No supervisory responsibilities.
DUTY STATION: This position will be based in Kyiv.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to travel throughout Ukraine.
- A university degree in accounting, finance, or related field or at least one (1) year of relevant financial assisting and/or bookkeeping experience required, with preference for USAID-funded project management experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic accounting practices as well as general best practices in Ukraine.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize multiple deadlines assignments in a fast-paced environment, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good judgement that reflects positively on the DG East program.
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations preferred.
- Ability to effectively use computer software.
- Ability to effectively use internet banking system.
- Work with Excel spreadsheet applications required.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form in Ukrainian and working proficiency in English are required.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to [email protected] with Finance Assistant listed in the subject line by December 17, 2023. Candidates must ensure that CV does *not* include a photograph, date of birth, and/or marital status information.
No telephone inquiries, please. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis, and only finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.