Job categories Engineering
Vacancy code VA/2019/B5116/17938
Department/office ECR, EOC, Ukraine
Duty station Home based
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-8
Duration Retainer up to 100 working days
Application period 15-May-2019 to 16-Jun-2019
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
UNOPS Office in Ukraine Background
In response to the request of the Government of Ukraine and further to the meeting between the President of Ukraine and UNOPS Executive Director on 15 May 2016 the United Nations Office for Project Services concluded an Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the UNOPS on the opening of the UNOPS Office in Ukraine. The Agreement was signed on 22 November 2016.
According to the Agreement the UNOPS Office in Ukraine is to provide a broad spectrum of services to the Government and people of Ukraine including but not limited to infrastructure, procurement, contracting, recruitment and administration, implementation of technical assistance, humanitarian and investment projects that are funded by the Government, international organizations, local communities, foreign governments and non-for-profit organizations, international financial institutions, UN Agencies and alike.
UNOPS Office in Ukraine has a varied portfolio of projects including infrastructure project management support to partners and management of partner personnel projects with UN agencies in the region. The scope of assignment will include the management of the construction and design stages with several contractor/s for the construction/refurbishment of multiple sites, as well as fit out and installation of all equipment and furniture.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Consultant Engineer is home-based retainer in Ukraine to provide services ensuring smooth implementation of the engineering works within ongoing and developing projects. The Consultant Engineer will provide technical support and advice to UNOPS Ukraine (UAOC Infrastructure Unit).
She/he will provide technical consultations on engineering issues during feasibility studies, design and construction phases.
She/he will be expected to work independently on various projects as assigned by the Senior Engineer including overseeing the entire design and construction/refurbishment processes or assist as a technical expert on a specialized task.
The Consultant Engineer will provide technical advice on engineering projects which may be characterized by unique or complex challenges. This may involve frequent field travels, exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection identification of unique problems for investigation, and development of novel concepts and approaches.
Functions/Key Results Expected:
- Construction works supervision
- Quality Control
- Monitoring and progress controls
- Construction works supervision:
- Quality Control:
- Monitoring and progress controls:
- Provide expert advice to all stakeholders including contractors, Senior Engineer, project staff, clients and donor agencies on engineering related activities.
- Provide engineering expertise to the project by contributing to ensure that projects are designed and constructed in accordance with local and international policies, design brief, UNOPS Design planning manual and guidelines, national norms and standards, specifications applicable, for the new building to be constructed and the old buildings to be rehabilitated.
- Provide input and review designs carried out by external consultants/contractor for the new building to be constructed or the old buildings to be rehabilitated, working with the teams of Architects and designers.
- Provide regular reports and inputs for the periodic and final Reports to inform donors and the key stakeholders on Project progress.
- Manage contractors and contract execution to ensure delivery according to the scope, budget and time and in compliance with the technical documentation.
- Formulate and/or check and revise Terms of Reference, scope of works and all technical documents/designs in line with national legal framework and UNOPS norms and standards.
- Ensure that documentation on site are kept according to the valid law for planning and construction (daily logs, quantity books, approvals, act of appointments, tests, attest documentation).
- Maintain the cooperation with the construction supervisors, contractors, designers and local authorities.
- Ensure the Construction Supervisor provides reports on the activities specified within the valid law for planning and construction.
- Ensure respect of Health and Safety procedures on the site and notify the Supervisor of any irregularities immediately.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Engineer in the agreed timeframe.
- Supervise the quality of the construction materials and collected attest documentation.
- Verify and contribute to technical specifications of products, apparatus, services and associated quality material.
- Ensure the contractor provides method statement for works prior commencement and perform the quality check of the presented document.
- During the Defect Notification Period (DNP), intervene as required and liaise with the contractor to fix in a timely manner issues that arise and covered by the defect notification period.
- Conduct needs assessment of the building and structures that are to be reconstructed and provide comprehensive needs assessment reports.
- Review and contribute to Contractor’s Quality Health and Safety, Social and Environment plans and ensure its compliance.
- Ensure on site works are provided in accordance to all Health and Safety, Social and Environmental requirements, norms, national and international best practices.
- Hold sites coordination meetings with the contractors, technical supervisors and other stakeholders as necessary and provide minutes of meeting for construction-related meetings.
- Provide Site Visit Reports on Project related activities, specifying work progress and arising issues
- Contribute to development, implementation, monitoring and updating of the Project plans and strategies in order to ensure delivery according to the scope budget and time.
- Provide UNOPS with photographic (before, ongoing, after) and reports including lesson learned.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Consultant Engineer directly impacts the successful delivery of the ongoing projects on time, budget and quality according to the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Advanced university Degree (Master or equivalent) in Civil Engineering
- OR technical/professional diploma in Civil Engineering (Bachelors or equivalent) in combination with 2 additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Certified/Registered for construction supervision and quality assurance from Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing Ukraine would be an asset.
- Certified/Registered for consultant engineer would be an asset.
- Minimum five years of relevant professional civil engineering experience
- Experience in civil works design, supervision and/or implementation of buildings construction and reconstruction for medium to large scale construction projects
- Strong computer skills and advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of a CAD software.
- Familiarity with FIDIC Contracts is desirable.
- Knowledge of MS Project is desirable.
- Fluency in Russian and Ukrainian is required.
- Working knowledge of English is required
Дізнайтесь більше про можливості працевлаштування в Офісі ЮНОПС в Україні на порталі «UNOPS Jobs»