Вакансія: Monitoring and Evaluation Analyst, NPSA-9, DS-Kyiv/ Lviv/ Uzhhorod/ Odesa/ Poltava/ Dnipro, (National Position)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to eradicate poverty, reduce inequalities and exclusion, and build resilience so that countries can sustain progress. As the United Nations’ development agency, UNDP plays a critical role in helping countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In Ukraine, UNDP operates in five programmatic areas of support: government capacities for crisis response and management; sustaining provision of public services; emergency works facilitating return and reconstruction; incomes, livelihoods and the private sector response; and civil society and maintenance of the social fabric.
The war in Ukraine has already resulted in significant loss of life; unprecedented displacement, internally and towards neighbouring countries; and devastating destruction of infrastructure. Eighteen years of socio-economic achievements in Ukraine are at risk. UNDP’s core engagement is to preserve development gains as fully as possible, and to return Ukraine to pathways towards achieving the SDGs as quickly as possible.
UNDP launched its Resilience Building and Recovery (RBR) framework for Ukraine on 11 April 2022 to immediately respond to the development and humanitarian challenges. The overall objective is to preserve development gains in Ukraine, mitigating risks of descent into a governance and service delivery crisis, embedding activities for recovery from the onset of the humanitarian effort, and facilitating a swift return to development pathways and processes for national attainment of the SDGs.
To support the strengthened resilience and early recovery of war-affected communities in the selected target areas of Ukraine, UNDP and the European Union, a long-term partner (including for UNDP’s Programme in the east), have in parallel launched the “EU4Recovery – Empowering Communities in Ukraine” (EU4Recovery) project, which will ensure a multiplier effect by further expanding key interventions mentioned above.
The M&E Analyst will work closely with Programme and CO M&E staff to ensure M&E requirements are fulfilled and the M&E Framework is reported against on time with required quality checks, and the M&E of the entire Programme is performed to the highest standardsin line with UNDP Country Office guidelines and procedures.
In line with UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behavior, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, the incumbent will contribute to accelerate gender equality and women’s empowerment throughout Project implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment & Research Planning:
- Contribute to the development and refinement of individual Programme-level, component-level and project-level Theories of Change, Results and M&E frameworks. Ensure that the Programme Components have results-based annual work plans with indicators, baselines and targets established, and aligned with the SDGs;
- Establish and coordinates effective mechanisms of monitoring the Programme implementation, including the development of evaluation tools and processes, and innovative approaches;
- Ensure optimal use of evaluations by providing guidance and support in the preparation of timely management response to all mandatory evaluations and by developing an M&E plan;
- Provide technical support/advice to ensure timely and accurate measurement of change in conditions at the national, regional and local levels, including monitoring of socio-economic trends and the country’s wider policy, economic or institutional context, to facilitate planning and to draw conclusions about the impact of programmes or policies;
- Contribute substantially to donor reporting and other communication products with the provision of evidence-based results analysis;
- Ensure that monitoring systems are properly designed, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across Programme Components to feed into programme performance monitoring, and field data is analyzed and reported in a results-based and timely manner;
- Coordinate data collection and reporting through different online systems and tools, including information management system (IMS),IMRP, and Activity Tracker;
- Perform quality control of Programme data;
- Make regular reports and presentations to the Programme Board, highlighting areas of concern and preparing the documentation for review at meetings;
- Formulate key performance indicators and parameters for monitoring programme performance and measuring its progress towards its targets, and analysis of existing social and economic data;
- Ensure that evaluations are designed and implemented in accordance with established UNDP quality standards, and the results are disseminated in a timely manner to stakeholders to improve RPP performance and contribute to wider learning;
- Monitor and ensures the quality of the field work and data management during the implementation phase, and the quality of the analysis and ease of understanding during the report writing phase;
- Update Programme and project risk logs and upload relevant documentation into the UNDP system;
- Deepen the use of data through Programme and its projects,including new and innovative sources of data;
- Develop ToRs, analytical frameworks, and questionnaires for data collection, thematic assessments, and other purposes;
- Ensure coordination and information sharing with other humanitarian and development actors by reporting to relevant clusters and working groups;
- Provide technical guidance to the Programme Manager and Component Leads;
- Ensure that all relevant M&E documents are properly uploaded and managed;
- Collect data and reports on the contribution of the RPP to the achievement of the UNDP Strategic Plan and UNDP in Ukraine Country Programme Document outcomes and outputs;
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender equality in all aspects of M&Eand reporting, promotion of a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behavior, and gender- responsive communications based on corporate principles;
- Ensure dissemination of evaluation findings and recommendations to the intended audiences ina user-friendly manner. In particular, to ensure that effective participatory feedback is provided to community and civil society stakeholders;
- Support Programme teams and senior management in planning and management of thematic, country programme/project evaluation; follow up on the implementation of evaluation and audit findings and recommendations. Ensuring the optimal use of evaluations by providing guidance in the preparation of timely management responses to all mandatory evaluations.
2. Ensure the provision of top-quality advisory services and Capacity Building:
- Document best practices and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to the promotion of awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of M&E function among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities Programme-wide. Supports Programme and Project Office staff with effective use of tools and methodologies for planning, monitoring, reporting and measuring of indicators at the outcome level;
- Foster participatory planning and monitoring by training and involving primary stakeholder groups in M&E activities;
- Provide technical support to Implementing Partners on all M&E related activities;
3. Ensure facilitation of Knowledge Management:
- Contributes to the implementation of Evaluation, Knowledge Management and Learning strategies;
- Present data and information in an accessible and useful format (templates, maps, reports) for analysis to support strategic and operational decision-making, with the support of UNDP CO;
- Cooperate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues; keeps abreast of the latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies.
- Perform other functions as requested by management.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the M&E Analyst supervises and leads Programme’s M&E Unit and will be responsible for providing overall support in developing the capacities of UNDP personnel and partners in relation to Programme M&E and facilitating knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed
and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others
in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction and Strategy – Strategic Thinking:
- Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions.
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
Business Development - Knowledge Generation – Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Business Management – Results-based Management – Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Business Management - Monitoring – Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Business Management – Evaluation:
- Ability to make an independent judgement based on set criteria and benchmarks.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Statistics, Political Science, Social Science or a related discipline, or
- Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of extensive relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree
- Minimum 2 years (Master’s Degree) or 4 years (Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and/or projects or related fields, including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools is required, in particular, results-based management and impact evaluations.
- Extensive knowledge of advanced statistical methods for programme impact evaluation is required.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section:
- Experience in drafting progress reports, research papers and/or communication materials.
- Data processing and management skills and/or knowledgeof special computer softwares and applications (Tableau, Power BI, Google Data Studio or equivalent, KoboToolbox or similar survey tools) is an asset.
- Experience in conducting trainings to staff and partnerson Monitoring and Evaluation and/or reporting requirements is an asset.
- Experience in developing Monitoring and Evaluation plans/systems.
- Fluency in English, the UN language of the duty station, is required.
- Fluency in the national language of the duty station is required for local staff.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 27 February, 2024.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions, please visit UNDP in Ukraine website, section Jobs and apply:
UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.