Сommunications Specialist, NPSA9, UNDP (applications deadline extended)
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme Manager, and in coordination with the UNDP CO communication unit, the Communications Specialist will ensure planning, design and implementation of internal and external strategies for RPP communications and outreach:
- Under the guidance from the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme Manager and in close collaboration with Country Office communications unit, work in formulation and implementation of internal and external communications strategies for the RPP;
- Ensure communication plans for RPP projects are in place to adequately and positively communicate Programme’s highlights and success stories;
- Lead in gathering required inputs and information required for production of relevant publications, as well as plan to coordinate dissemination of these publications and resources within the framework of the overall RPP communication strategy;
- Coordinate with relevant units and personnel to ensure that the RPP achievements are communicated to the relevant stakeholders in an effective and timely manner to support strategic positioning of the RPP to existing and potential partners;
- Ensure communications tools and products, including briefing notes, booklets, brochures, infographics are effectively planned and developed to reflect UNDP’s corporate branding and visibility;
- Ensure press releases, media advisories, and feature stories for UNDP website and social networks are drafted and publicized in timely manner;
- Build and maintain close working relationships with the media, including editors and journalists in key regional news outlets with the objective to facilitate reporting on RPP’s work with a special focus on the UNDP’s development efforts in eastern Ukraine;
- Process media enquiries and requests for interviews from local, national and international journalists, NGOs, external partners, in co-operation with Country Office communication unit;
- Coordinate regional press conferences and media events upon request;
- Lead personnel with identification of storylines for publications, and articles on achievements and progress of projects and activities;
- Advise programme staff in developing and designing thematic information, and communication materials for the UNDP projects to ensure their good quality and acceptance by the target audience(s);
- Advise the RPP staff on public messaging and media outreach. Provide input for briefing materials, talking points, and op-eds, as requested;
- Coordinate identification of and reporting on best practices and lessons learned for activities and projects, and in line with communications goals and objectives;
- Enhance cooperation and ensures coherence of communication activities and messages between UNDP Country Office and field presence (RPP);
- Ensure that UNDP corporate identity, visibility and communication rules and regulations are applied in all public materials produced by the RPP, including social networks.
- In coordination with County Office communications unit, provide input and manage social media channels (Twitter, Facebook);
- Under the guidance of the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme Manager, work closely with Leads of RPP components and Country Office communications unit, on coverage of the RPP activities and projects through various media channels, including news stories, fact sheets, website articles; booklets, briefing notes, posters and banners, through service providers such as audio-visual production companies, as well as printing and translation companies;
- Work in consultation with the Recovery and Peacebuilding Programme Manager and Leads of RPP components in management and oversight of communications consultants and service providers;
- Ensure preparation of relevant background documents and organization of donor and corporate missions, as well as organization of audio-visual and media coverage of programme activities and achievements;
- Work with relevant units and personnel in assisting the RPP to develop proposals and concept notes;
- Lead in organizing relevant events and activities, including organization of press conferences and other events to facilitate visits of high-level officials and delegations to the Eastern Ukraine;
- Ensure that a library of reference materials, such as communications tools, booklets and photographs of project activities, is established, regularly updated and documented in a way that is easy for retrieval;
- Prepare communications needs assessments for RPP, including projects, as required;
- Brief the senior management regularly on ongoing communications, and coordinate efforts to follow up on identified communications needs, and potential opportunities for improving visibility;
- Develop partnerships with various individuals, groups and organizations, whose support is essential to the achievement of communication objectives;
- In coordination with the Country Office communications unit and with Leads of RPP components, supervise and maintain information, advocacy and awareness-raising campaigns implemented within the RPP communications strategy;
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of expertise and use the principles of gender-responsive communications in line with the UNDP corporate standards.
- Support the promotion of team culture and zero tolerance to any sexual misconduct in the team through leadership and personal example
- Perform relevant supervision of assigned Communications Associate.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned and required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, journalism, international relations, political/social sciences, or related field;
- Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of extensive progressively responsible relevant experience might be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- 2 years (with Master’s degree) of progressively responsible professional experience in the media, public relations, communications or other related field;
- 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible professional experience in the media, public relations, communications or other related field;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of and experience with social media applications and content management systems (CMS) will be considered as an advantage;
- Solid experience in report writing, editing, drafting, photography and video materials production will be considered as a strong asset;
- Working experience with UNDP, other UN agency, international organizations/projects in communication field will be considered as a strong asset.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian (written and spoken).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 26 January 2021.
If you wish to apply for this or other positions, please visit UNDP in Ukraine website, section Jobs and apply:
UNDP will use a transparent and competitive screening process, though will only contact those applicants in whom there is further interest. Applications may only be submitted for specific vacancy.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.