Protection Information Management Assistant / Помічник/ця з управління захистом інформації
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title:Protection Information Management Assistant
Duty Station:Kyiv, Ukraine
Classification:General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment:Special Short-Term, Six months with the
possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date:18 December 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission and the overall guidance of Senior Protection Coordinator, and with the direct supervision of the National Protection Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the Protection Unit’s data management related to the implementation and administration of protection activities in Ukraine as well as new data collection and research initiatives.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to data management for the Protection Unit, on issues such as: data collection and storage, automatization of processes that provide basic data compilation and analysis needed for reporting, tools that can be used by IOM and implementing partners to improve data collection, storage and analysis;
- Perform regular tracking of data entered into IOM databases and reporting templates, for quality, consistency, accuracy, completeness and other indicators of data quality;
- Assist in preparing and coordinating reports that have a data/ statistical component, which need to be submitted to various internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintain databases, specifically those related to protection-related activities for the Protection Unit and provide recommendations for their improvement;
- Conduct preliminary data analysis based on the reporting needs, as well as information needs that feed into programming as well as other activities, such as project liaison or public information;
- Verify the data included is relevant to protection, in existing IOM or other stakeholders’ data collection tools, as needed, and in coordination with other key members;
- Support new research and data collection initiatives;
- Draft presentations, short reports on trends based on quantitative and qualitative data, and participate in various meetings, events and structures linked to protection information management;
- Provide capacity building sessions and technical guidance on information management to IOM staff and implementing partners;
- Undertake duty travel based on programme needs.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High school diploma with six years of relevant experience;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Social Sciences, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field from an accredited academic institution with at for years of relevant work experience
- Work experience that entails data collection, data storage and data analysis related to programs of assistance/ frontline work – to generate information products;
- Experience in working with databases and online applications;
- Experience in database maintenance, and in designing solutions to integrate, centralize and automate data;
- Exposure, ideally through work experience, to a range of protection topics, such as migrants in vulnerable situations and gender-based violence;
- Exposure to emergency responses and work related to internal displacement is desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of Excel;
- Demonstrated ability in using Salesforce, Activity Info, and other such database platforms
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and with tight deadlines;
- Ability to learn quickly new thematic areas and workstreams related to the protection work of IOM in a variety of contexts.
- Excellent understanding of English, as well as communication and writing skills in English.
Fluency in English and Ukrainian (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural Level2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and security clearances.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications on IOM Personal History Form to [email protected] by 18 December 2023 the latest, referring to this advertisement in the subject line of your message.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 04.12.2023 to 18.12.2023