Policy Development Specialist for the USAID DOBRE Program/Спеціаліст_ка із розробки політик в програму USAID DOBRE
Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities is seeking a qualified and experienced Policy Development Specialist for the USAID-funded Decentralization Offering Better Results and Efficiency (DOBRE) project. This project will strengthen local governments in newly consolidated communities to effectively manage resources and services that respond to community priorities and improve citizen engagement and oversight in local governance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Policy Development Specialist will support and coordinate activities related to DOBRE’s Objective 1.4 Legal Enabling Environment for Effective Local Government Improved.
- Work closely with Policy Development Expert to support aspects of policy development, establishing an enabling environment for local governance, and working with oversight Ministries and oblast council and administrations on establishing a more effective role in the decentralization system
- Help organize events, workshops and public activities related to policy development activities
- Work collaboratively with other project components to meet overall program objectives.
- Help prepare required reports on Policy Development Activities
- Participate in the development of the annual work plan
- Support capacity building within relevant government ministries, and oblast council and administrations to analyze and develop legislation and regulations in a participatory manner
- Support the cooperation with the Association of Amalgamated Territorial Communities in implementation of the Advocacy Strategy and best practices program
- Manage project activities related to performance management, including:
- Conducting workshops to develop program measures,
- Work with Ministries and CCs to integrate use of program measures.
- Assist the Expert in writing scopes of work for needed STTA assistance and then support supervising their work
- Communicate with partners, stakeholders and program beneficiaries, disseminate program updates and collect input.
- Organize and maintain files and records for the Policy Development component.
- Coordinate with other technical components to aid cohesion among program interventions.
- Draft program highlights, summaries, and weekly reports.
- Assist with any other duties as required by the Supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of decentralization and local governance concepts
- Understanding of performance measures
- Strong research skills
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with national government officials, local government associations, regional and local government officials, civic leaders, media, and other key stakeholders in the policy process.
- Relevant experience in policy development, group facilitation, capacity building/training.
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
- Must have Professional level English ability – both written and oral.
- Professional-level Ukrainian written and oral skills.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- At least 3 years of experience in policy development or related field
- Understanding of local governance and decentralization in Ukraine
- At least 3 years training/facilitation experience
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s Degree in public administration, public policy, political science, or related field or additional 3 years of relevant experience.
Able to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard, for extended periods of time. Must be able and willing to occasionally travel domestically to regional offices and program sites.
Candidates are asked to send CVs and Cover Letters to [email protected] by COB December 19, 2o22 indicating position title in the subject line.