Керівник/ця Програми (Programme Team Leader), Представництво НАТО в Україні
OFFICE: NATO Liaison Office under the NATO Representation to Ukraine
TITLE: Programme Team Leader
GRADE: LES 8
WORKING HOURS: Full time
LOCATION: Kyiv, Ukraine
DEADLINE: 9 June 2023 (COB)
The NATO Liaison Office in Ukraine (NLO) was established in 1999 to facilitate political and military dialogue and co-operation between the Alliance and Ukraine. In recognition of the growing importance of the NATO-Ukraine partnership, the NATO Representation to Ukraine (NRU) was established in March 2016. The NRU is composed of the NLO and the NATO Information and Documentation Centre (NIDC) and is led by the Head of the NATO Representation to Ukraine.
At their meeting in Warsaw on 9 July 2016, the Heads of State and Government of the NATO-Ukraine Commission endorsed the Comprehensive Assistance Package (CAP) for Ukraine. The objective of the Package is to consolidate and enhance NATO’s assistance for Ukraine. This will enable Ukraine to become more resilient, to better provide for its own security and to carry out essential reforms, in particular in the security and defence sector. In response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, at the 2022 NATO Summit in Madrid, Allied Heads of State and Government endorsed the Political Framework for the Extraordinary Review of the CAP aimed at delivering urgently needed non-lethal military assistance to Ukraine and supporting Ukraine in long-term recovery.
The CAP is a fast-paced, multidimensional co-operation framework, requiring close co-operation between NATO and Ukraine and effective inter-agency co-ordination in Ukraine, including day-to-day management of CAP activities across all of its work strands, and work to ensure the involvement of several organisations of Ukraine’s defence and security sector being involved in implementation of the CAP.
The Programme Team Leader will work at the Military Career Transition Programme (MCT) under the CAP. The Programme is an integrated part of the NLO and is aimed at providing support to Ukraine in developing and implementing a sustainable and effective system of military career transition. In the frames of supporting reform processes of defence and security sector of Ukraine, the MCT Programme also contributes to psychological rehabilitation system establishment and mental health resilience of the personnel of Ukrainian defence and security institutions. Another strategic direction is enhancing the development of institutional capacity of the Ministry for Veterans Affairs of Ukraine.
This job announcement presents a perfect opportunity for a motivated professional interested in joining the CAP Team at the NLO in order to lead implementation of the MCT Programme under the framework of delivery of CAP activities in Ukraine.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The incumbent must possess:
- an advanced university degree in politics, law, international relations, security or defence studies, or another relevant field;
- a minimum of 5 years of directly relevant work experience in Ukraine, preferably with governmental (security and defence) and NGO sector, connected to NATO programmes or other international security related institutions and defence and security sector reform;
- knowledge and experience of work with policies on: veterans’ issues, military career transition, psychological rehabilitation, CIB and resilience is a strong preference;
- a minimum of 5 years of profound experience in managing budgeting and financial issues, including budget projection and utilization, oversight of financial reporting and accounting;
- demonstrated capability to manage reform programmes;
- experience in designing needs-based development of projects;
- experience in project management and successfully leading a team;
- results-driven professional attitude;
- excellent computer skills (office applications);
- language proficiency: English, level 6 (Proficient); Ukrainian, level 6 (Proficient); with the ability to draft quality reports and make precise and targeted presentations in either language;
- no criminal record and pass security clearance.
The following would be considered an advantage:
- previous work experience in a similar position;
- previous work experience in national security and/or defence and security sector reform;
- previous work experience in an international organization, embassy, and/or in a military environment;
- flexibility to work outside of normal working hours, when necessary.
- MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Design, lead and oversee MCT Programme projects planning and execution as coordinated with strategic CAP goals, establishing measurable return on investment mechanisms, including impact assessments, addressing monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Identify and evaluate issues and opportunities for NATO support within the CAP framework, focusing in particular on the MCT Programme responsibility spheres and provide inputs for the development of programme strategies and plans.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with MCT Programme strategic partners, incorporating CAP objectives and in line with relevant policies and strategies – national government officials, international organizations, civil society organizations and other relevant parties; liaise with various institutions, community leaders, opinion formers, national partners and senior subject matter experts.
- Develop, manage and oversee programme level documentation such as strategic and policy related documents, high level and working level plans, stakeholder engagement and communication plans, risk registers and issues log, monitoring, reporting, processes and systems, incl. performance review system of the team.
- Maintain effective relations with NATO Headquarters, Allied and Partner institutions; support the HQ-based Team Leader for the CAP – MCTP for Ukraine in drafting and preparing relevant reports and analyzing documents/letters.
- Prepare and present budget proposals in line with CAP functional areas; manage budget utilization; oversee all contractual and financial matters, including review of financial reports to NATO HQ, and co-ordinate other activities regarding everyday financial issues of the Programme.
- Make innovative proposals on relevant MCTP activities within the CAP framework to meet objectives in the best possible way.
- Attend events of interest and relevance organized by the NLO and strategic partners, represent/present the Programme at public events.
- Provide strategic direction and day-to-day guidance to the MCT team on behalf of the HQ-based Team Leader for the MCT and CAP for Ukraine.
- Maintain the absolute confidentiality and security of NATO/CAP information.
- Perform other related duties.
The Programme Team Leader will work in adherence to the “One NATO” approach and take into account guidance and advice provided by the Head of the NLO. S/he will report to the CAP – MCTP HQ based Team Leader and Defence Institution and Capacity Building Team Leader for the Comprehensive Assistance Package for Ukraine in the NATO International Staff Operations Division.
The incumbent must demonstrate:
- Achievement: Works to meet standards.
- Clarity and Accuracy: Monitors and checks work or information.
- Customer Service Orientation: Discovers and meets customer needs.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively within a variety of situations.
- Initiative: Is decisive in a time-sensitive situation.
- Organizational Commitment: Supports the organization.
- Self-Control: Responds calmly.
- Teamwork: Co-operates effectively.
- CONTRACT AND REMUNERATION PACKAGE
For the selected candidate, we can offer a competitive salary , which is not exempt from taxation, and includes social benefits (health care, including health and accident insurance), a generous leave package, and the opportunity to work in a very inspiring international environment.
The successful candidate will be offered a 3-year full time contract with possible extension, based on continued programme funding and satisfactory job performance.
- HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to apply by email to: [email protected]
Please indicate “CAP MCT Programme Team Leader” in the subject line of the email.
Please attach the following documents (in English):
- CV/Resume (maximum two pages);
- Cover/Motivation letter highlighting how the candidate meets qualifications stated in this vacancy announcement (maximum one page);
- At least two letters of reference including referees’ contact details, preferably from a previous or current employer.
The deadline for submission of the required documents is 9 June COB. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. Written, practical and language tests may also be conducted.
The selected candidate is to undergo security and suitability vetting as a condition of employment prior to taking up the position. The selected candidate should also be found medically fit to perform duties on the basis of a completed questionnaire.