IFES шукає Legal Drafting Expert
IFES is a non-profit, non-partisan international organization. As the global leader in democracy promotion, IFES advances good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance to election officials; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries, from developing democracies to mature democracies.
Since 1994, IFES has played a significant role in promoting electoral, administrative and legal reform in Ukraine. In cooperation with partners in Ukrainian civil society and the Central Election Commission (CEC), IFES is working to foster dialogue on electoral reform, build the capacity of local NGOs, institutionalize best practices in training election officials and ensure more equal representation in the electoral process for disadvantaged populations, especially women, representatives of national minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Legal Drafting Expert will work closely with the Senior Digital Transformation Advisor under the supervision of IFES Legal Advisor and will carry out duties related to the drafting of legislative concepts, draft laws, and draft by-laws in the field of election law, including on matters related to digital transformation, e-governance, cybersecurity, electoral technologies; and conducting comparative research.
IFES is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Legal Drafting Expert. The position has an initial 3-month duration with the possibility of extension.
Scope of Work:
- Research and provide analysis of international practices and foreign laws in the field of digital transformation, cybersecurity and electoral technologies;
- Develop research and comparative analysis papers, comments, presentations;
- Develop concepts for new draft laws and by-laws, drafting legal comments, opinions;
- Prepare draft laws, by-laws, amendments to the legislation in force;
- Analyze laws, draft laws, by-laws prepared by the state bodies, other stakeholders; providing structured feedback and recommendations for improvement, including through formulation of concrete legal norms;
- Keep abreast of all policy and legal developments at the national level related to digital transformation and cybersecurity issues;
- Participate in official working groups related to involved draft legislation; being able to defend organization’s position on the issue;
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders, donors, and partners, moderate discussions as appropriate.
- Analytical, comparative and research documents;
- Concepts of draft legislation;
- Written recommendations for the ministries and state bodies, including the Ministry of Digital Transformation, the Central Election Commission;
- Fully formulated draft laws and legal norms, by-laws;
- Speaking points for meetings, summaries of meetings.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in law or related field;
- Excellent writing and legal drafting skills;
- Minimum of 6 years of legal drafting experience;
- Experience of working in public service, state bodies and overall familiarity with the operations of the Ukrainian public sector would be a plus;
- Understanding of technologies, digital transformation and/or cybersecurity in Ukraine would be a plus;
- Strong judgment and ability to work independently and in teams;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to manage multiple initiatives within prescribed timelines.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian is required
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in written and spoken English and Ukrainian languages is required.
TRAVEL: Travel may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic IFES encourages people with disabilities and individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV and a Letter of Interest, with “Legal Drafting Expert” in the subject line, to Valeriia Zhyman [email protected] copying Yana Dovga at [email protected] no later than January 4, 2022, 23:59 Kyiv time.