Graphic Designer (програма U-LEAD з Європою, GIZ)
Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit
For our U-LEAD with Europe Programme (Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme), we are looking for a Graphic Designer (full time) to join our team based in Kyiv
U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme is a multi-donor action of the European Union and its member states Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Poland and Sweden which supports the efforts of the Ukrainian government in the area of decentralisation and regional development. Ukraine has put decentralisation and regional development as a top priority on its political agenda. It is aimed at promoting a viable local self-government and thus bringing a positive change to the people’s life. The Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services (MinRegion) holds responsible for this milestone reform process. The programme contributes to the establishment of multi-level governance which is transparent, accountable and responsible to the needs of the population.
As a multi-donor initiative, U-LEAD needs to maintain a clear and effective internal and external communication about the programme with a broad range of stakeholders such as political partners in Ukraine and abroad, funding donors and further donors supporting decentralisation and regional development. The programme also is required to comply with relevant visibility guidelines and standards of donors. Its success greatly depends on the support of all stakeholders involved which is not least created through transparent communication about its progress. This communication is supported by a unified graphical branding and visual representation of the programme.
U-LEAD (GIZ) is looking for a highly motivated graphic designer. The person should be able to develop and execute various graphic layouts. An understanding of the decentralisation developments in Ukraine is an asset.
Areas of responsibility
- Develop, design and art-direct various digital and printed communication products for the programme, including layout and graphic design for various communications assets and product packaging e.g. books and booklets, online and printed newsletters, brochures, flyers and leaflets, infographics, charts and graphs, presentations, etc.
- Enhance U-LEAD visual brand and support further development and implementation of visual communications for the programme
- Develop creative ideas and concepts for design and typesetting for draft and printable material in formats suitable to the topics, formats and target groups relevant to U-LEAD with Europe
- Determine requirements and applicable specifications on design style, format and timescales for product illustrations, logos, etc.
- Review final layouts, suggest improvements where required and prepare drafts for print
- Ensure compliance with relevant visibility guidelines of U-LEAD’s donors and closely coordinate with relevant units within U-LEAD
- Oversee, coordinate and manage publishing production processes (assistance in printing house contracting and procurement processes, design and quality assurance before, during and after printing process, liaising with printing houses and providing technical support if needed)
- BA or graduate degree in arts, visual communications or in a related field
- At least five years of professional experience in a comparable position or in a PR/communications agency or other organisation with a record of published design materials – printed publications and visibility items as well as assets for use online
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design and art direction, including use of design software such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Dreamweaver, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office Applications
- Proven experience of graphic production – from initial design to published/printed product with knowledge of managing and controlling printing processes (offset and digital) and colour management
- Fluent written and spoken English and Ukrainian
- Experience with donor-funded international development projects and programmes is an asset
- Creative and innovative ideas; strong conceptual and art direction skills for developing new visual communications products, designs and formats
- Good understanding of and eagerness to explore new and evolving technologies and digital platforms and design requirements for these platforms and technologies
- Team player with excellent intercultural skills
- Strong organisational, planning, managerial and art direction skills
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work flexibly and independently, often under tight deadlines
- High degree of discretion and integrity
- Willingness to work in an open office environment as part of a larger team or remotely outside office hours
Starting as soon as possible. The contract duration is until the end of December 2019 with a possibility of extension.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
We are looking forward to your application in English to [email protected], comprising a) a cover letter explaining your motivation, b) your CV (which includes a link to your portfolio) and c) contact details of three references – until 7 January 2019.