Chemonics International шукає Senior Consultant on Policy Making / Project Office Supervisor
Chemonics International, a global consulting and international development firm, seeks a Senior Consultant on Policy Making / Project Office Supervisor (Senior Consultant), short-term position, for the USAID-funded Competitive Economy Program (CEP). CEP is a seven year, $170M program, which promotes a strong, diverse, and open economy by enhancing the business environment for Ukrainian enterprises, improving the competitiveness of emerging and high-growth industries and their firms in international markets and equipping the Ukrainian workforce with skills necessary for reconstruction and rebuilding the economy.
The Ministry of Economy of Ukraine (MOE), USAID CEP’s major partner and beneficiary, intending to restore and elevate Ukraine’s industrial potential to a European level estimate that it is necessary to establish approximately 600 modern productions in various sectors, including the textile industry, woodworking, construction materials manufacturing, green metallurgy, the food industry, machinery, and automotive. The approximate need for investments in such productions amounts to about USD 90 billion. A great deal of opportunities arises from:
- Post-war recovery needs in Ukraine (Ukraine will require a substantial amount of construction materials and more).
- The need to substitute Russian and Belarusian goods both in Ukrainian and European markets.
- The growing sectors of the economy, such as, e.g., the agro processing sector, have the potential to drive many other production opportunities in machinery, electronics, and related industries.
- Ukraine possesses abundant natural resources of various kinds that could be processed into different types of goods.
- The Ukraine-EU Trade Agreement can be used as leverage for manufacturing facilities situated in Ukraine, providing a strong boost for moving up the value chains.
The pursuit of these opportunities requires a set of well-coordinated policy actions supported by tools such as industrial parks and regional economic development. The MOE is on track with its mission to ensure and strengthen the economic development toolset and for that requires support by a team of experts (the Project Office) in the field.
The role of the Project Office is to support the MOE’s comprehensive efforts in strengthening regional economic policy and industrial parks as a tool for developing manufacturing production and promoting local economic development. The MOE requires the support to build the capacity for the future Agency for Industrial Parks Development, update the strategy for industrial park development, ensure implementation of financial, educational, and promotional initiatives to establish a network of industrial parks throughout Ukraine, as well as develop and facilitate the appropriate action plan. Additionally, there is a need to align various developmental tools such as industrial parks, political risk insurance facilities for industrial and technological parks, state support for projects with significant investments (investment nannies), and others to ensure their effectiveness, synergy, and efficiency.
The major functions of the Project Office are to:
- Evaluate the progress of industrial park development in Ukraine.
- Facilitate dialogue with relevant stakeholders, including industrial parks, producers, investors, international financial institutions (IFIs), donors, local authorities, business associations, etc.
- Incorporate and analyse the best international practices in the field.
- Align various economic development tools: industrial parks, investment nannies, political risk insurance, etc.
- Design strategic initiatives and policy measures.
- Propose improvements in legislation and governmental decrees.
- Promote industrial parks within local communities and strengthen regional economic development.
Through this assignment CEP will provide its short-term expert support to the MOE to assist with the workstreams described above, particularly as government resources are still scarce to efficiently manage and successfully implement such large-scale programs.
The Senior Consultant will be responsible for the overall coordination of the work of Project Office team on industrial parks, ensuring the cooperation between Project Office team and with its key stakeholders – the MOE (including various departments within MOE) and other state agencies involved in the implementation of the industrial parks initiatives.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Providing strategic advisory;
- Delivering policy making assessments and recommendations;
- Carrying out strategic initiatives and policy measures design;
- Ensuring industrial parks high-level promotion;
- Supervising the Project Office activities;
- Providing consultancy to CEP on industrial park development issues.
The place of performance for this assignment is Ukraine (remotely and in person, as feasible), with relevant local travel required to fulfil the assignment.
This assignment will require up to 150 days of LOE, from on/about 01 January 2024, through on/about 31 August 2024.
- Development of proposals for the modification (review of parameters and conditions for financing, as well as the introduction of liability for non-compliance with the conditions) of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine resolution dated October 28, 2022, No. 1207 “On the Approval of the Procedure for Providing Funds on a Non-Repayable Basis for the Arrangement of Industrial Parks and/or the Provision of Construction of Adjacent Infrastructure Objects Necessary for the Creation and Functioning of Industrial Parks.”
- Development of proposals for the modification (review of parameters and conditions for providing compensation, as well as the introduction of liability for non-compliance with the conditions) of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine resolution dated January 3, 2023, No. 10 “On the Approval of the Procedure for Providing Compensation for Costs to Initiators of the Creation of Industrial Parks – Business Entities, Managing Companies, and Participants in Industrial Parks for Connection and Attachment to Engineering and Transport Infrastructure.”
- Preparation of explanations for stakeholders regarding the modified rules for obtaining state support for the arrangement of Industrial Parks.
- Preparation of proposals for amending the resolutions of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated January 24, 2020, No. 28, and July 14, 2021, No. 723 (including industrial parks in the state program of preferential lending “5-7-9”).
- Recommendations for the development of a draft resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on the establishment of an institution to support the development of Industrial Parks (provided by the Law “On Industrial Parks” and the draft law “On the State Budget of Ukraine for 2024”).
- Recommendations for the development of sub-legislative acts, including investment risk insurance rules for industrial parks in accordance with the provisions of draft law No. 9015.
- Development of recommendations for the implementation of EU directives in Ukraine regarding state support for investment in industrial parks through taxation.
- Review of the development strategy of Industrial Parks dated February 24, 2023, No. 176-р“On the Approval of the Development Strategy of Industrial Parks for 2023-2030” and designing practical mechanisms for its implementation, including the roadmap (action plan).
- Conducting five round tables / extended meetings with stakeholders on industrial parks and regional economic development.
- Monthly reporting to CEP.
The timeline for deliverables for this specific position will be agreed with the recruited Senior Consultant and coordinated with USAID CEP.
The required and/or preferred qualifications for the Senior Consultant position are:
- Master’s degree in economics or related fields required,advanced degree preferred
- Minimum ten (10) years of professional experience in business, economic development, research activities, or similar fields required
- Experience and knowledge in the field of industrial parks, economic policy and manufacturing industry, understanding of economic development required
- Experience of working within or with the government and/or Parliament in the relevant field required
- Fluency in Ukrainian and English required
- Strong analytical and organizational skills required
- Program and project management skills, the proven ability to plan and manage initiatives required
- Strong writing and public speaking skill required
Please send a CV and brief letter of interest in English indicating related experience and achievements by December 17, 2023 to [email protected]. Please include your name and “Senior Consultant on Policy Making / Project Office Supervisor” in the subject line. Please note the position is open for Ukrainian citizens only. Candidates will be reviewed and interviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.