БФ “Право на захист” шукає юриста
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation, in partnership with HIAS, that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection launches the projected titled Innovating Pathways to Integration of Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Ukraine.
Ukraine continues to struggle through its transformation from a transit country for refugees and asylum seekers from the Near East, Africa, Asia, and the former Soviet Union into a destination country for them. Refugees, asylum seekers, and complementary protection holders (“beneficiaries”) face significant challenges when attempting to integrate in Ukraine. These include limited opportunities for formal employment, limited access to the labor market, constraints in securing affordable housing, discrimination at all levels, and a lack of government support. In 2018, R2P undertook the first stage of a pilot project whose goal was to improve integration prospects for beneficiaries.
Based on successes, recognized challenges, and lessons learned from the first stage of the refugee integration project, R2P seeks to pursue the same goal by undertaking activities in three directions: (1) further development of relations between employers and beneficiary job seekers and raising employer awareness of beneficiary labor potential; (2) legal aid on social and economic issues; and (3) raising public awareness of the social barriers facing beneficiaries and of their labor potential.
There is a great need to raise awareness of businesses in Ukraine about beneficiary labor potential on the one the one hand, while on the other, obtain their buy-in and cooperation for overcoming the obstacles to legally employing asylum seekers per current Ukrainian legislation. Awareness raising among business representatives on beneficiary social and employment issues will render businesses both change agents and potential employers.
Duties and responsibilities for this position are, but not limited to:
The Lawyer to the Project Manager and work in close cooperation with business development specialist.
- Preliminary interviews, in-depth interviews, and analysis of social, employment, access to services, and integration issues in accordance with the Ukrainian laws and international refugee protection instruments; preparation of appropriate documents for asylum seekers on the basis of such interviews;
- Consultations of asylum seekers and refugees on integration procedures (employment, social issues, access to services, documentation, etc.);
- Representation and translation at government and law enforcement agencies, and in other situations when this may be deemed necessary;
- The lawyer will also compile legal alerts on specific legal issues faced by beneficiaries, based on cases analysis, legal strategies, and gaps identified.
- The lawyer will also be the focal point to assist identifying strategic litigation cases and initiating the litigation in the social rights area.
- Providing analysis and guidance on legal issues concerning employment, banking, and social issues available for asylum seekers and refugees in Ukraine;
- Monitoring changes in international and Ukrainian legal and legislative acts related to the delivery of program services, and in maintenance and distribution of relevant legal information to colleagues and, when necessary, outside parties;
- Maintaining paper and computer files for cases counseled;
- Preparation of reports, including statistical information;
- Participation in meetings and conferences on behalf of R2P.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with R2P guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to child protection and the code of conduct.
Required qualifications and skills
- Higher education in law, international relations, refugee or migration studies;
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in legal practice;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently and in a team and to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Commitment to teamwork;
- Fulfil all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism.
R2P will offer the successful applicant
- a 7-month contract (approximately September 2019 – March 2020), renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Send résumé to [email protected]. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for interview. No phone calls, please.
For more information about organization, please visit our web-site http://www.r2p.org.ua.
Applications close date
15 September 2019. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.