Advisor on Municipal Civil Protection and Local Development (програма U-LEAD з Європою, GIZ)
For U-LEAD with Europe | Ukraine – Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme, implemented by GIZ, we are looking for an Advisor on Municipal Civil Protection and Local Development (full time) to work in Kyiv.
In the last few years, Ukraine has developed and adopted various laws in favour of an ambitious decentralisation reform, which reshapes the relations between the national, regional and local level and builds institutional capacity. The success of the decentralisation reform greatly depends on the coordination and cooperation between the different stakeholders involved, including central government and regional offices. The Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services (MinRegion) is responsible for the overall implementation of this milestone reform process. It coordinates the implementation of the reform process with 24 Local Government Development Centres in all Ukrainian Oblasts. The U-LEAD with Europe Programme supports these institutions via its main programme office in Kyiv and four offices in Lviv, Poltava, Chernivtsi and Dnipro.
The Advisor on Municipal Civil Protection and Local Development will join the RLDU (Regional Liaison and Development Unit) of the Programme.
- The Advisor on Municipal Civil Protection and Local Development is responsible for:
- Providing professional advice to all interested partners, beneficiaries and target groups (public officials and technical/administrative staff, state servants, NGOs, civil sector activists, private sector etc.) on a wide range of issues related to civil protection and local development at national and regional level, in general, and at local/municipal level, in particular;
- Supporting the U-LEAD Programme, Regional Liaison and Development Unit, in Kyiv and the regions in the implementation of the programme “U-LEAD with Europe” concerning the following fields of action: enhancement of civil protection and local development related municipal services at local level, advisory support to strengthening of vertical and horizontal coordination for enhanced services;
- Ensuring compliance with GIZ standards and rules in all activities conducted by U-LEAD Programme;
- Ensuring innovation and knowledge management;
- Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation as well as Reporting.
- Implements tasks of the U-LEAD Regional Liaison and Development Unit and coordinates with other U-LEAD Programme units in the implementation of the programme „Support to the decentralisation reform in Ukraine” concerning all fields of action (see Description of action of U-LEAD);
- Provides advisory services to partners and beneficiaries at all levels on the improvement of civil protection and local development related municipal services, related administrative services at national and regional level, in general, and at local level, in particular;
- Conducts the development of strategies, concepts and management schemes for enhanced services and management at the local level;
- Drafts the development of guidelines on the above mentioned fields of activity;
- Creates the development of events, programmes and syllabi for training and skills development on improvement of civil protection and local development related municipal services;
- Contributes to the provision of such training and skills development schemes when needed;
- Contributes to cooperation and development of synergies with partner initiatives in and outside Ukraine;
- Cooperation with other GIZ projects when required;
- Cooperation with CIM-experts where applicable;
- Regular reporting and communication with the coordinators of the Programme;
- Ensuring proper filing of documents according to GIZ filing procedures in DMS;
- Ensuring compliance with U-LEAD Programme standards in all internal and external communication and presentation according to GIZ PR and communication policies.
- Expert support to ongoing tasks and duties of the U-LEAD Regional Liaison and Development Unit, in general, and to the municipal civil protection and local development, where strong technical expertise is required;
- Coordinates regularly with GIZ contact persons concerning all project activities;
- Discreet behaviour vis-a-vis third parties in all internal matters;
- Respects the GIZ guidelines on integrity.
Other / additional tasks
- Programming, implementing, monitoring and evaluating those activities of the U-LEAD Regional Liaison and Development Unit that deal with civil protection and development on the local level;
- Implementation of other project activities and other assigned tasks;
- Participates in trainings in relation with the needs of the assigned function and the associated obligations. Specific training needs will be identified and selected together with the superior.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- High education degree in the fields of civil protection, regional and urban development, or other relevant fields.
- Experience in providing and/or consulting on civil protection and/or regional/local development;
- Experience in working in development/investment projects;
- Experience in public procurement;
- Experience in international development cooperation is an asset.
- Knowledge of decentralisation and Ukrainian legislation regulating provision of municipal services;
- Basic knowledge of the regional development policy of the European Union would be an asset;
- Experience with analytical and evidence-based tools and policies is an asset;
- Knowledge of the organisation of participatory and stakeholder engagement processes;
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Office;
- Very good language skills in English, Ukrainian, and Russian. German is an asset;
- Diligence and responsible work ethic;
- Team player;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Availability to take on responsibility and a corresponding sense of responsibility;
- Availability to develop core competences and expertise and to develop further;
- Willingness and availability for frequent travel.
Starting as soon as possible. The contract duration is until the end of December 2019 with a possibility of extension.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and offers an attractive and challenging working environment with opportunities for skill enhancement.
We are looking forward to your application in English, comprising a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV to [email protected] until 22 February 2019.